With an increase in requests from the residential sector for CCTV inspections and water jetting blocked drains, we thought a few tips on how to keep drains clear might be useful.
The following list has been compiled after talking with the Online Pipe & Cable Locating team of technicians who have probably seen it all when it comes to pipe blockages.
- FOG – Fats, Oils, and Grease. Useful when used appropriately, but if they enter the drain system, the potential for blockages over the long-term is high. Proper disposal is the key.
- Wipe dishes rather than rinse them before washing or placing in the dishwasher – every drop of greasy substance no matter how small has the potential to accumulate into a sticky clump and cause pipe blockages.
- Place leftover oils, gravy, and dairy products in a can or bottle and dispose of in the bin.
- Throw coffee grinds in the garden or in a container for the bin rather than down the sink.
- Use a strainer to catch food scraps then place them in the compost, feed to the chickens, or in the bin.
- Seal sanitary products, wipes, nappies etc. in a plastic bag and dispose of in the bin. These items are some of the most commonly found in blocked sewers. Appropriate disposal will save money and inconvenience.
There are, of course, other reasons why a pipe may be blocked – tree roots. We’ll provide an update on what to look out for and ways to approach this hidden problem.